Have we built a beautiful fountain, pond, or other water feature for you? Water features add a special touch to the landscape, and they also require special care before winter sets in. Here are a few things you can do to winterize your water features before those below freezing temperatures set in.
Steps for Winterizing Your Water Features
Water features that are not properly prepared for winter can leave you with broken pumps and other damage come spring. To make sure that your water features are fully prepared for the freezing temperatures of winter, follow these steps:
- Disconnect from power: If possible, disconnect your fountain or pond from its power source. Since it won’t be running all winter, there’s no reason to keep it connected to the power.
- Drain the water: The most important thing you can do for your water feature, hands down, is drain out all of the water. Water expands when it freezes, so water that is left in your fountain or pond could expand and break crucial elements, like the pump or pipes.
- Remove the pump: If possible, remove the pump and store it indoors for the winter. You can also take this moment to clean the pump so that it is not sitting all winter caked in algae and dirt.
- Cover your water feature: You can purchase a fountain cover to keep your water feature covered and protected all winter long. These waterproof covers keep excess moisture out of your water features when it rains, protecting the interior of the pond or fountain from damage. If you are not planning on using a fountain cover, you should put towels or some other absorbent material in the base of the fountain to absorb water.
- Protect natural stone and concrete: Water features made of natural stone and concrete tend to absorb water when they are wet. When freezing temperatures cause water to expand, you may find cracks in the beautiful craftsmanship of your natural stone or cement fountain or pond. To avoid this from happening, you can use a surface sealer to keep moisture from being absorbed into the stone or concrete. We recommend having a professional update your water feature with a sealer.
Get in Touch With Pinehurst Landscape Company
At Pinehurst Landscape Company, we value the craftsmanship of artisan stonework and custom garden design. With over 50 years of experience in landscape design, we’ve learned how to tread the delicate balance between functional and stylish Our award-winning garden designers are committed to working one-on-one with you to create a comprehensive design that thoughtfully attends to your personal needs and individual tastes. Contact us to schedule a consultation today! If you like our work, consider following us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Linkedin, and Google+.