Ornamental grasses add appeal to any landscape. These grasses are easy to grow, sturdy, and come in a variety of options so there is truly one to suit every lawn and look. They can also serve various purposes, depending on their texture. To learn more about some ideal ornamental grasses which flourish in the climate of the Northeast, read on.
This hearty champion may be king amongst ornamental grasses. It can flourish in almost any soil type, ranging from loose sand to heavy clay. It is deer resistant, drought tolerant, and can handle everything from privacy concerns to erosion control. It has attractive plumes, is bird friendly, and can grow in either the sun or shade. Here are some of the best types of Miscanthus to grow in our climate.
- Miscanthus sinensis ‘Gracillimus’ or Maiden Grass: This tall silver-veined green grass grows in attractive vase-like plumes.
- Miscanthus sinensis ‘Variegatus’: Grows in arching rounded clumps and the green and white striped plants have a silvery glow. They offer year round accents.
- Miscanthus sinensis ‘Zebrinus’ or Zebra Grass: Striped foliage which sprouts tiny coppery, pink flowers in the late summer.
Commonly known as fountain grass, this type of grass offers amazing texture with flower spikes that glow in sunlight and wave enchantingly in the breeze. There are numerous forms and sizes of this lovely grass.
- Pennisetum alopecuroides ‘Hameln’: Has arching deep green foliage which turns to an attractive orange in the fall. Showy pinkish white flowers sprout from it like a fountain.
- Pennisetum alopecuroides ‘Piglet’: This shorter grass boasts lovely spikes of fluffy flowers.
This grassy plant, also called lilyturf, is one of the perennial ornamental grasses. It is a useful ground cover which can help to prevent excessive erosion. It survives in diverse conditions, both wet and dry, sunny and shady. It grows thickly to deter weeds while many types sprout lovely lavender flowers which will brighten up any landscape. Types of Liriope include:
- Liriope muscari ‘Variegata’: This glossy green plant has dense lavender flowers.
- Liriope muscari ‘Big Blue’: A tufted plant which both flowers and produces berries into the winter, its dark green leaves are incredibly elegant.
Get in Touch With Pinehurst Landscape Company
At Pinehurst Landscape Company, we value the craftsmanship of artisan stonework and custom garden design. With over 50 years of experience in landscape design, we’ve learned how to tread the delicate balance between functional and stylish Our award-winning garden designers are committed to working one-on-one with you to create a comprehensive design that thoughtfully attends to your personal needs and individual tastes. Contact us to schedule a consultation today! If you like our work, consider following us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Linkedin, and Google+.